What is the VET Student Loan Scheme?
The VET Student Loan Scheme allows eligible students to have all or part of their tuition fees paid for them by the Australian Government in the form of a loan.
Australian Wings Academy is approved by the Department of Education and Training (DET) to offer the VET Student Loan Scheme to eligible students that are enrolled in the following courses:
AVI50215 Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence – Aeroplane) – this course can be commenced with no prior flight training, the duration is 52 weeks full time.
AVI50415 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating) – this course can be commenced once you have a Commercial Pilot Licence, the duration is approximately 12 weeks full time.
Please take the time to read all of the information on the VET Student Loan Scheme and go to the links on this page so as you understand how the VET Student Loan Scheme program works.
If you would like to express your interest please fill out our online enquiry form, AWA will send you further information on the course and the VET Student Loan Scheme.
What are the Loan Details?
If eligible, you can borrow funds up to your lifetime to the FEE-HELP limit. The maximum amount you can borrow in your lifetime (called the FEE-HELP limit) is fixed by the Australian Government. Accommodation and living expenses are not covered by the VET Loan Scheme. For 2017 the FEE-HELP limit is $100,879.
There is a loan fee of 20% for full fee-paying students undertaking the VET Student Loan Scheme. This fee will be included in the VET Student Loan Scheme debt.
You do not have to use the VET Student Loan Scheme to pay your tuition fees, you can choose to:
- pay all your tuition fees upfront to Australian Wings Academy
- pay some of your tuition fees upfront and use the VET Student Loan scheme for the rest
- use the VET Student Loan Scheme loan for all your tuition fees (up to your FEE-HELP limit)
If you do choose to use the VET Student Loan Scheme loan then it is re-paid gradually through the tax system once your income is above the minimum repayment threshold that is set by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You can make voluntary repayments to reduce your debt at any time – some voluntary repayments might attract a bonus, visit www.ato.gov.au for details.
It is your responsibility to be aware of your FEE-HELP balance and to advise Australian Wings Academy if you do not have sufficient balance to cover your tuition fees. If your tuition fee exceeds your FEE-HELP balance you can only get a loan equal to your balance.
What are the Pre-Requisites / Entry Requirements?
You may be eligible for the VET Student Loan Scheme if you:
- are an Australian citizen OR a permanent humanitarian visa holder who will be a resident of Australia for the duration of the unit of study; OR have met the New Zealand SCV holder requirements, which are:
* that the student arrived in Australia at least 10 years ago as a dependent child (i.e. aged under 18 years of age and did not have a spouse or de-facto partner); and
* the student has been ordinarily resident in Australia for the previous 10 years (that is; they have been here for the last 10 years, including resident for 8 of the last 10 years, and 18 months of the last two years), and;
* the student is otherwise eligible for HELP;
- are undertaking study as a full fee paying student OR a subsidised student in a ‘reform state or territory’;
- have read the VET Student Loan Scheme information booklet;
- have met the tax file number (TFN) requirements;
- have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) or are otherwise exempt
- have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit
- hold a Class 1 Aviation Medical
- Provide a copy of your Australian Year 12 High School certificate; OR provide evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English); OR displaying competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) test at AWA. AWA must reasonably believe that you show competence in completing the course
- Pass the Symbiotics ADAPT assessment and Australian Wings Academy interview, the assessment is at a cost to you of $220.00
- Agree to attend AWA as a full time student for the duration of your training
What is the Course Schedule?
Schedule of VET Tuition Fees and Schedule for the AVI50215 Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence – Aeroplane)
(This course is for students that have had no training)
- 26th June 2017 click here
Schedule of Vet Tuition Fees and Schedule for the AVI50415 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating)
(This course is for students that hold a Commercial Pilot Licence CPL)
Schedule of Vet Tuition Fees and Schedule for the AVI50510 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor)
(this course is for students that hold a Commercial Pilot Licence CPL)
How do I apply?
- Read and understand the VET Student Loan Information booklet
- Complete the AWA online application form
- AWA will contact you to arrange a Symbiotics ADAPT assessment and interview which is part of the selection process. The assessment takes approximately 2 hours and is at a cost to you. This computer based tool tests general aptitude for typical piloting tasks.
- If successful we will then require you to complete an AWA Application for Enrolment form, we will also give you a copy of our Student Handbook which includes our policies and procedures.
- AWA will give the government your enrolment information, including the nearest applicable census day. This is done via the departments online eCAF (Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form) system. The eCAF system is for students to request a VET Student Loan, it provides students with a secure and easily accessible way to complete the required Government VET Student Loan Scheme application form.
- You will then receive an email from the department allowing you to sign into the eCAF system so that you can verify the pre-populated information and complete the mandatory fields. Once you have submitted the eCAF the department will email you with a copy of your completed form, you must give this form to AWA. All census dates are shown in the Schedule of VET Tuition Fees which can be downloaded from this page.
What else do I need to know?
- Frequently asked questions
- VET Loan Scheme Fact Sheet
- 2017 VET Student Loan Scheme Information Booklet
- Australian Tax Office (ATO)
- Australian Wings Academy’s Statement of VET Tuition Assurance
- Student Review Policy and Procedure
- Academic & Non-Academic Grievance Policies
- Student Withdrawal Policy